I had an itch for chocolate today, but wanted to go for something rich and dreamy where you lose all sense of reality.
I decided to mix up Chef Chloe’s chocolate frosting from her special ‘Chocolate Layer Cake’ and add it to her cake recipe for her ‘Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes.’
For more information please visit: http://www.chefchloe.com
© 2012 Fashioncouch.com. All Rights Reserved.
Check out the process below!
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 cup coconut milk, ½ cup canola oil, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (Cupcakes).
1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips (dairy-free), 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, 3 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 2 to 5 tablespoons soy milk (Frosting).
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients together separately. Mix wet ingredients separately. Add wet to dry ingredients and mix (do not over mix).
2. Line 1-2 cupcake baking pans with 12-14 liners depending on how much you want. Make sure each cup is 2/3 full. Bake between 16-18 minutes. Poke a toothpick after baking and make sure it comes clean or with a few crumbs.
3. While cakes are cooking, clean up!
4. Melt 1 and 1/2 cups of chocolate chips in the microwave. Watch it closely so that it does not set on fire! Let your chocolate cool down for about 10 minutes.
5. Get your frosting together now. Put the shortening and pulse while adding the powdered sugar. Then add the vanilla.
6. Add the cooled melted chocolate to the frosting mixture and pulse.
7. One tablespoon at a time, add the soymilk until the frosting reaches the consistency that you want.
8. Pull the cakes out of the oven and let them cool completely. Frost them with your frosting and add garnish if you like!
See the pics below!