Vegan Bacon Cupcake!
It’s been a while since I baked anything for the blog. Although, I did go to town with lemon cakes, truffles and cookies on Easter & Passover for all the celebrations.
A friend called me the other day and asked to meet her for lunch at Pheobe’s Cupcakes in Lincoln Park, Chicago. Rather unusual to have a cupcake for lunch but I am not one to judge so I met with her. These bacon cupcakes caught my eye. They were all sparkly and glistening from the glass casing calling out to me. I would never eat bacon on a cupcake vegetarian or not. It just seems odd to me. But, visually it was so pretty.
When my friend mentioned today felt like a cupcake moment to take a break from the office churning demands, I figured why not make her some very special cupcakes for the very special person she is. I decided to re-create the bacon cupcake vegan style with my own recipe which is a first for me. I am so excited to share with you:)
Do not try this at home unless you have a lot of time and are willing to roll your sleeves for some hard work!
What You Need!
1 3/4 Cup Flour, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Baking Soda, 1 Cup Sugar, 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon, 3 pinches Cloves, 1 Teaspoon and a 1/2 Nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt, 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract, 1 Cup Coconut Milk , 1/2 Cup Canola Oil (Cake Batter)
5 Tablespoons Grade A Maple Syrup, 2 Cups Powdered Sugar, 2 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar, 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening,1 Tablespoon Cinnamon, 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 3 Tablespoons Vegan Margarine, 2 Tablespoons Almond Milk (Frosting)
8 Dates, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 2 Tablespoons Water, 1/2 Cup Grade A Maple Syrup (Caramel Drizzle)
1 Package of Smart Bacon Vegan Bacon Strips
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start mixing dry ingredients of the cake batter together in a mixing bowl. Put aside.
- Mix wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add wet to dry ingredients until full incorporated. Don’t over mix.
- Set out 14 cupcake liners and fill about halfway with cake batter.
- Put in the oven for 15-18 minutes.
- While cakes are baking, clean up a little bit!
- Start boiling 6 dates in water until the casing looks like it can be peeled. Start with 10 minutes under medium heat and wait to observe.
- Once dates are ready, let them cool completely. Peel the outer shell off of them, put them in the blender with the water, maple syrup, cinnamon and blend until smooth. Put in the fridge to cool.
- Get a skillet going. On medium heat, drizzle olive oil in the pan. Place 4 strips of bacon. Watch the bacon, make sure they shrink in size and get crispy edges and crunchy texture. Drain on a papertowel on a plate. Set aside.
- Blend vegan margarine, shortening, vanilla, 5 tablespoons of maple syrup, brown sugar until blended. Add 2 cups of non hydrogenated veggie shortening, cinnamon, and add 2 tablespoons of almond milk until smooth.
- Once cakes are cooled, frost each.
- Cut bacon strips into small square pieces and place at the center of each cake. Pop into the fridge to firm up the frosting.
- Get cooled caramel and drizzle on top of the cakes and eat!