I am so happy to receive my pre-sale cookbook ‘Chloe’s Kitchen’ from my favorite vegan chef Chloe Coscarelli this morning!
Chef Chloe is currently on tour across the country to promote her new book. She made a recent visit to NYC for a book signing and I’ve begged her to come to Chicago. I stumbled upon her recipes by accident when I was on the hunt for the perfect vegan cake. Since then, I have had a love affair for vegan desserts and am thrilled to now have more goodies to try out. Why is Chef Chloe so great? Her desserts are simple, light and insanely good. And more importantly, everything I have made from her thin mints to lemon cake have been devoured by, well you know who you are!
Please visit www.chefchloe.com to learn more!
Today I am going to experiment from her new book and try the ‘Sea Salt Toffee Bars.’
- 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup vegan margarine, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 cup chilled vegan margarine, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Shortbread crust).
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup vegan margarine, 4 teaspoons soy milk (Caramel).
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (dairy-free), sea salt (Topping).
1. You’ll prepare a shortbread crust by pulsing all the ingredients above in a mixer. Next, press it into an 8×8 pan lined with parchement paper that extends over the edges of the pan and bake it 16 minutes minimum until edges are golden at 350 degrees. Once it is finished cooking, let it cool down. Once cooled, put the crust in the fridge.
2. Separately, you’ll pull all the ingredients for the caramel in a saucepan under medium heat until melted while mixing. Step up the heat for 1-2 minutes to let it boil. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
3. Once the crust is cooled and the caramel is cooled pour it over the shortbread crust. Put in the fridge to set.
4. Take your 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate load it in a microwaveable bowl and heat. Length of time depends on your microwave so don’t set it on fire!
5. Take the shortbread out of the pan by pulling on the edges of the parchment paper and pour the chocolate over it and sprinkle with the sea salt.
6. Put in the fridge to harden. Once hardened, cut with a knife into squares.