I love donuts! I was really excited during fall season last year when I was inspired to make deep fried cidar donuts. I bought organic ingredients from Trader Joe’s and was thrilled to smell the heavenly aroma from the dough I kneaded. I knew it would be nothing short of spectacular. Shortly after I had rolled out the dough and cut the donuts, I ended up with a overly deep fried mess.
Bummer. I realized that frying donuts at the perfect temperature and being able to cook them through evenly is quite challenging.
So, I found a vegan donut recipe from Chef Chloe Coscarelli that is pleasantly surprising. Although I am a fan of commercial donuts, these baked donuts are nothing less than satisfying. The feeling of guilt after eating this particular donut just doesn’t happen as it does for the deep fried ones. In fact, the donut feels healthy and wholesome. To learn more vegan recipes, please visit http://www.chloecoscarelli.com.
Check out the process below!
© 2012 Fashioncouch.com. All Rights Reserved.
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour, 2/3 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 2 teaspoons of nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup soy milk, 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/4 cup apple cidar vinegar, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (Dough).
1/4 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons soy milk (Glaze).
Toppings: anything you like!
1. Set oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients
3. Mix wet ingredients
4. Grease 2 donut pans holding 6 donuts per pan.
5. Put wet to dry ingredients and mix. Do not over mix it.
6. Take a few plastic bags and stuff the dough into the bag and tie the end. Cut the tip.
7. Pump the dough out into the donut pan per each donut.
8. Put donuts in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
9. While donuts are baking, clean up!
10. Set out the glazing ingredients.
11. Take the chips, soy milk and melt.
12. Take it out the glaze mixture of the microwave or double broiler and add the powdered sugar mixing until smooth. Set aside for 10 minutes.
13. Take out donuts and let them completely cool.
14. Dip the top of the donut into the glaze and turn it around with your hand to wipe of the excess. Immediately top with your favorite toppings!